An exciting job opportunity has arisen for an experienced Head of Strategic Projects to join a leading organisation based in East Belfast.
Duration: 6 months with potential extension
• A degree in a scientific discipline such as biological science, veterinary medicine, chemistry or related science discipline.
• At least 5 years practical experience of leading and managing programmes of laboratory work including associated health and safety, biocontainment and other compliance issues.
• At least 3 years knowledge and experience of the application of laboratory information management systems in laboratory environments
• Experience of leading and managing major projects, with proven ability to lead staff, manage budgets and deliver time bound objectives.
• Experience of leading and managing major business change.
• A successful track record of effectively influencing internal and external stakeholders.
Main Responsibilities and Duties
Scientific Leadership and Advice:
• To act as the senior science manager of the projects, responsible for key strategic decisions and providing specialist scientific advice and oversight.
• To organise and chair the internal project meetings comprising of Heads of Branch and senior scientists.
• To ensure the projects take account of and meet the needs of the science users across the organisation.
• To be responsible for specification development and ensure these meet scientific legislative and regulatory requirements.
• To identify improvements and efficiencies in the designs and specifications, particularly from a scientific aspect.
• To have overall responsibility for the coordination of the delivery of technical and specialist scientific support for the Projects, and to manage any competing priorities.
• To act as senior scientific contact point with the successful external contractors for the Projects and lead discussions/workshops with organisations users and contractors.
• To act as senior project manager on these significant investment projects, ensuring they are properly managed.
• To be responsible for the input and coordination of information for the Business Cases for these Projects.
• To be the lead on any procurement processes on behalf of organisation for these projects including evaluation for any contractors.
• To be responsible for the successful move of laboratory units into the new building.
Leadership and People Management:
• Provide strong and energetic leadership and vision to staff involved with the projects, innovatively and effectively leading and managing change.
• Ensure effective staffing structures for the project teams are in place with the appropriate levels of skills and expertise.
Finance and Corporate Governance:
• Ensuring compliance with corporate policies, business planning, budgetary management plus relevant legislation such as data sharing, health and safety and ISO accreditation/certification.
• Review existing science capital equipment and recommend a procurement strategy for any new internal capital equipment requirements for the projects.
If interested, please send updated CV via the link to Victoria Butler - Reed