Our mission is simple… to help the world Love Mondays.
Every week, thousands of people across the UK start a new job – and it’s our job to help them get there.
REED is a specialist provider of permanent, contract, temporary and outsourced recruitment solutions
We require a Revenues Officer specialising in Business Rates to cover an existing workload within Bolton Council, based in Bolton.
This is an interim position initially for 3-6 months with the potential to be extended, dependent on workload.
- Maintain records: obtain information to ensure that accurate records are maintained, and a high level of service is delivered in accordance with legislation. Update or check computer records and amend the system to reflect any changes Liaise with customers and relevant internal and external agencies. Process and balance valuation update schedules for council tax and prepare valuation reports for both council tax and business rates. Update computer records. Ensure correct bills or adjustment notices are issued and arrange to refund any overpayments.
- Collection and recovery work: agreeing, inputting and monitoring arrangements at all stages of recovery. Taking card payments from customers over the phone. Respond to customers’ enquiries. Assist in the preparation of cases for customers who have received a summons and are due to appear in the Magistrates’ Court.
- Decision making: making decisions based on evidence available in relation to ratepayers’ liability and their entitlement to reliefs.
- To train and demonstrate duties: ensure that new members of the team are fully trained in all aspects of business rates billing and valuation and monitor their training during the training period to ensure that quality and quantity standards are met. Answer their questions and provide ongoing mentoring and support during the training period. Show the new starters all the systems that are used, including external contractors’ websites. Feedback any issues to the team leader.
- Fraud Awareness: be alert to fraud and make appropriate referrals to a team leader or manager depending on the nature of the potential fraud.
- A minimum of 6 months' experience of working for a local authority on a business rates team.
- Experience of using the Capita One Revenues and Benefits system.
- An ability to interpret legislation and guidance to accurately assess taxpayers' entitlement to reliefs and grants.
- Ability to use ICT systems competently to accurately input and maintain information relation to the billing and collection of business rates.
- Demonstrate the ability to make calculations with the use of a calculator to answer customers’ queries.
- Demonstrate effective communication skills in order to present information both verbally and in writing to a variety of audiences, whilst maintaining the Council’s policy on confidentiality of information.
This role offers a competitive salary of from £10.39 up to £13.13 per hour and you’ll be working via REED who offer great benefits such as discounts, cashback offers and more as well as weekly pay.
Any offers would be subject to right to work checks.
Please apply now or email email@example.com and join us in loving Mondays!