We are currently looking for a Revenues Officer to work on a temporary assignment with Southend On Sea Borough Council.
In this role you will deal with the day-to-day administration, billing, collection and recovery of local taxation, housing benefit overpayments and miscellaneous income owed to the Council Interpret and apply the Local Government Finance Act 1992 , relevant regulations and Southend Council’s own policies and procedures, ensuring that collection targets are achieved and that accuracy of data is maintained.
- Responsible for meeting individual and team targets in the delivery of the Service
- Respond to, take action and provide expert technical advice on customers’ enquiries, information and applications by telephone, written correspondence, or face-to-face, accurately maintaining customer accounts.
- Make all necessary investigations including requesting further information from the customer, other internal and external departments and any other relevant stakeholder/ party
- Identify and take proactive action on Council Tax cases where there is a potential entitlement to discounts, exemptions or any other liability reductions.
- Maximise debt recovery by identifying and taking the appropriate recovery action on debtors’ accounts, in line with working procedures and council policies
This role would be perfect for you if you can demonstrate the following:
- 5 GCSE’s (including English and Maths) or equivalent or work experience of at least an equivalent level
- Knowledge of Local Taxation and/or public sector debt recovery including relevant legislation and regulations.
- Experience of dealing directly with, and advising, members of the public in a professional manner under all circumstances
- Experience of debt recovery