One of the largest Local Authority based in London are looking for a Principal Accountant on a 3 months contract (with possibility of further extensions If all goes well) to join the Children Services team. It is a full-time role, Monday to Friday, 35 hours per week. The role will be work from home until further notice.
Purpose of the role:
A Principal Accountant to work across all areas of Children's Services to cover management accounts and year end closure. The council is after someone who can work independently give management instructions and the ability to carry out the function themselves. The Candidate should have experience of working in a Local Authority to hit the ground running from day one.
- To be responsible for the efficient and complete preparation of detailed revenue and capital expenditure and income budgets in conjunction with operational managers and Strategic Finance Managers including input to the wide range of service areas in line with the Council’s policies and procedures.
- To be responsible for the development, maintenance and review of effective systems for budget monitoring, control, reconciliation and reporting in conjunction with operational managers, to continuously improve departmental systems in line with financial best practice as required by the Senior Finance Manager.
- To be responsible for reviewing and improving the development of local forecasts for monitoring financial and activity systems used by operational managers to ensure consistency, effective reconciliation and financial best practice.
- To be responsible for effective joint working with the council’s external partners and other external organisations, to ensure appropriate procedures and processes for setting, monitoring and reviewing the financial arrangements.
- To be responsible for the prompt, efficient and accurate provision of all ordering and payment related functions, including the provision of a comprehensive Direct Payments service, in line with performance indicators and contractual requirements, including the identification, monitoring, reporting and recovery of all overpayments.
- To be responsible for the efficient and timely completion of specific tasks within the annual closing of accounts process, including the preparation and submission of a significant number of grant claims and statistical returns and the on-going maintenance, reconciliation and review of the department’s accounts including the asset register, provisions and grant claims.
If you have the required experience and skill set apply now for immediate consideration.