To help us respond to varying demand, we are in the process of setting up a bank of part-time Detention Officers to cover long/short term abstractions or vacancies. Banked Detention Officers will form a pool of trained and accredited staff who will be called upon, sometimes at short notice, to work within a shift pattern, including nights and weekends.
Please Note; there is no guarantee of when work would be available, you will be offered and expected to work a minimum of 40 hours a month and attend five mandatory training days throughout the year in addition to the initial training programme.
Your responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
• Ensuring that persons in police detention are afforded their rights and entitlements and are cared for and treated ethically and in accordance with legislation and Home Office rules.
• The reception of police detainees involving the creation of computer records to book persons into police custody and the recording of actions and activities during detention.
• Checking police records and carrying out verbal risk assessments of detainees. Your assessment forming the basis of a risk strategy that aims to ensure a detained person’s welfare needs are met.
• Monitoring multiple detainees and responding to individual needs.
• Taking fingerprints, DNA and Photographs of detainees.
• Maintenance of custody, including safety checks and cleanliness of the facility.
Successful candidates will be able to display the following:
• An ability to work under pressure.
• Resilience and flexibility.
• Patience and compassion.
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
• An ability to treat individuals fairly regardless of circumstance.
• An ability to work as part of a team.
• An eye for detail.
• Basic computer literacy.
A full driving licence is required (category D1 preferable), as is the ability to travel independently at short notice, as you may be expected at times to travel to other custody stations to cover staff abstractions or assist with conveying detained persons to other locations as per operational requirements.
Please apply now, or call Laura Fordham @ Reed Business Support Peterborough on 01733 295880 for more information.