The successful candidate will be am admitted Solicitor, qualified Barrister or Fellow of the Institute of Legal Executives.
They will provide clear, proactive legal advice and assistance to clients and supervise the Senior Legal Assistants, Legal Assistants and Trainees as directed. They will also personally conduct advocacy on behalf of the organisation and instruct counsel as appropriate.
Some other aspects of the role
- Approve or amend legal aspects of reports to be submitted to members requiring decisions and attend committee and other meetings to give legal advice as necessary
- Supervise Senior Lawyers as needed and provide cover as necessary for other areas within Legal Services as a whole and to deputise for Senior Lawyers as required.
- Support with strategic and corporate legal work.
- Deal with individual case work and prepare associated documentation.
- Advise on disputes with third parties on behalf of the council.
- Advise on the council’s powers and ensure the legality of the organisation’s decision making.
- Handle complex litigation arising within the areas of responsibility, including judicial
review, undertaking advocacy and to instruct counsel where necessary.