An academy status school is looking to recruit an experienced School Finance Manager for a one year maternity cover contract role to start asap. As the Finance Manager you will be responsible for the organisation and efficient execution of all Finance office activities and the supervision of Finance Staff, for the administration of the Academy’s finances, the supervision and training of Finance staff and liaison with other key staff and personnel. As well as organising and managing school finance, including that of its extended facilities, in accordance with the DFE’s Academies Financial Handbook, and administering payroll and pension related functions.
Summary of Key Tasks and Accountability :
• To supervise the School’s computerised finance accounting, the placement of orders and managing the Financial Management Systems. Ensuring changes in regulatory requirements are tracked and updated and that all income and expenditure is correctly coded.
• Maintain distinct reserves in the financial systems and allocate income and expenditure in accordance with policies.
• To manage weekly processing including review and authorise payment batches.
• To supervise the processing of all invoices in line with the school financial procedure.
• To be responsible for cash flow projections and all elements of cash handling including collections and disbursements, banking &security, fundraising &school trips.
• To maintain and oversee all bank accounts including the School’s credit card/s, completing monthly reconciliations and reporting banking errors to her/his Line Manager.
• To prepare the School’s Annual Budget and review and update as necessary in Consultation with her/his line manager and the Head teacher.
• To be responsible for the Cashless System and Payment website
• To ensure accurate VAT accounting and payment and VAT reclaim returns are submitted
• To coordinate the annual audit, liaising with all parties involved
Payroll and Pensions
• To be responsible for the completion and management of the School’s Payroll, ensuring all forms including timesheets, new starter/ leaver/ variation forms and annual returns are submitted
Financial & Management Reporting
• To produce a monthly trial balance and supporting schedules, including reconciliations
• Preparation of a monthly set of management accounts for presentation to SLT together with explanations of variances and suggested actions for managing agreed budgets.
• To undertake specific reporting and analysis of financial performance as requested by SLT and Governors.
• To pursue income and sponsorship generation opportunities including the preparation and submission of applications and bids.
• To maximise investment returns and income generation - organising bids, sales, sponsorship and fundraising, as appropriate.
• To ensure that all administrative duties, checks, documentation, reports and returns [internal and external] are completed accurately and submitted within required deadlines.
• To be responsible for the School’s Asset Register
Ideal candidates will be qualified by experience - ideally in a Finance manager role with supervisory experience.
Ideally experience from an academy/trust or educational establishment is a distinct advantage
Strong communication skills
Strong Excel skills and knowledge of accounting systems ( such as Sage, Peoplesoft Financials)
Knowledge of FMS ( Financial Management Systems within schools) SIMS,