• To broker, build and maintain strategic relationships with businesses, support organisations and education providers to ensure that maximum impact is derived from any economic development related intervention
• To lead on the continual development, delivery and evaluation of interventions to specifically support two of Southend’s key sectors supporting clusters, sector networks and supply chains.
• To plan, organise and deliver relevant events and conferences for the business community of local, regional and national interest thereby supporting Southend’s economy and developing the business tourism profile and offer of the town
• To deliver four business briefings each year through liaison with the chair of the Southend Business Partnership, the Chief Executive’s office, the Leader’s office and key local businesses
• To be a primary point of contact for all business enquiries
• To represent the Council at relevant meetings at local, sub-LEP, LEP and national level as required
• To assist the Senior Economic Development Officer, Group Manager and Director with delivery of specific high-level projects
• To identify, interpret and, where necessary, commission relevant intelligence, data and research to understand and identify needs in the local business community. To lead on the development, planning and implementation of innovative mechanisms and solutions to meet these needs in line with corporate objectives and departmental service plans and in partnership with local, sub-LEP and LEP based structures where appropriate
• To bid for external funding through the LEP, Government or Europe to deliver appropriate and impactful business support
• To maintain an up to date awareness of the relationships between business support, adult skills and other socio-economic challenges in the context of the LEP and other related bodies. To apply this information in the planning and delivery of initiatives ensuring a joined up approach
• To assist with achieving departmental, service and organisational aims and objectives and undertake any other duties commensurate with the grade and responsibilities of the post
• To brief senior management and elected members on project status changes, progress and impacts as required
• To promote constructive relationship with elected Members responding to their requirements appropriately and in the context of advice from team manager, Group Manager and Head of Service
• To promote the principles of equality and diversity and ensure that these are upheld across the service area
• To fully comply with the Health and Safety at Work legislation and the Council’s Health and Safety Policy
A dynamic, highly professional and driven Economic Development Officer is sought to support the delivery of the Economic Growth Strategy and project manage the delivery of the Southend Business Partnership Briefings amongst a range of integral local business support and liaison functions.
The successful applicant will liaise on operational and strategic issues with local and national partners including local businesses and Government departments. They will manage the development and implementation of communication strategies, externally-funded projects and represent the Council at a range of occasions.
The applicant will need the ability to research, extrapolate, assimilate and analyse data to inform decision making and disseminate the information to local partners to support their business decisions.
The Council is an equal opportunities employer. They welcome applications, regardless of race, colour, nationality, ethnic or national origins, sex, disability, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, marital or civil partner status, pregnancy or maternity, age or religion or belief. All applications will be considered solely on merit.
If you have any question then please feel free to contact me: