We have an exciting support worker role based in Silvertown for a female client in her thirties with downs syndrome, severe learning disabilities, challenging behaviour, diabetes, poor mobility, hearing and vision impairments. She is non-verbal and uses key words and gestures to communicate. She likes to be involved in feeding and personal care and will hand items to her carer during these tasks. She lives with her family who are also committed to her care and are very supportive to her carers.
Our client enjoys listening to music, dancing and being taken out in her wheelchair in the communal garden. She is very affectionate and needs extra care while her normal day care centre is closed.
You will need to have 6 months’ care experience in a similar role, genuinely enjoy working with vulnerable adults and have a positive attitude and caring nature. You will be required to administer medication but not insulin, which is given by the district nurse. However, having some general knowledge of diabetes would be useful. This role requires female support workers only.
This will be a temporary position paying £10.75 per hour. Weekday and weekend hours available.
Main Duties and Key Responsibilities:
- Working as part of a team to ensure the safety and well-being of the client
- Helping the client to deal with problems and become independent
- Feeding and personal care
- Administering medication and taking blood sugar levels
- Keeping records and completing MAR charts
- Engaging the client in activities such as singing and music
- Inspiring and encouraging our client to engage in all aspects of daily living
- Attending medical appointments
We can offer you:
- Paid annual leave
- Flexible hours
- Friendly and supportive team
- Annual Mandatory Training
- Access to a personal development fund each year to upgrade your social care skills in an area of your choice
- Regular supervisions to monitor your progress and ensure you thrive in the role
If you are interested, please click Apply Now
Some of our roles require male or female employees only, where this is indicated it is a genuine occupational requirement, in accordance with the Equality Act 2010
Due to the nature of this role an enhanced DBS will be performed and three years of references will be required. Being on the DBS update service is desirable but not essential
Your safety and the safety of our clients is of the utmost importance and therefore all screening interviews and registrations will be held via telephone or video call due to the pandemic