Assistant Company Secretary needed in Cheltenham
An exciting opportunity has arisen for a Permanent Assistant Company Secretary to join my client in Cheltenham.
Working with the Head of Legal and Governance you will be responsible for the provision of high-quality support to the charity and its trading subsidiary. Ensuring that the company’s obligation to comply with legislation, in particular the requirements of Companies House and the Charity Commission are met. You will work as part of the Legal and Governance Teams to provide a highly professional and efficient administration service.
- Accountable for representing the Head of Legal and Governance as appropriate.
- Responsible for all areas of statutory compliance for both the charity and its trading subsidiary and you will be required to lead on: Managing and ensuring the filing requirements at Companies House (including officer appointments, resignations, changes of registered address, and change of accounting reference date). You will also be responsible for the Charity Commission and OSCR, including ensuring the annual returns are submitted within the necessary timescales.
- Managing the statutory registers for the charity.
- Accountable for all matters relating to the AGM, leading on the preparation of notices and papers in line with the company’s articles of association, liaising with the Chair of the Board and the Chief Executive in relation to attendance at meetings and taking minutes.
- Responsible for co-ordination, forward planning, and setting of governance meetings for each year.
- The recruitment and induction of new Board and Council members.
- Providing support, advice, and guidance to the Chair of the Board and other Board and Committee members to fulfil their governance responsibilities.
- Developing and maintaining administrative systems and procedures to support the effective management and delivery of the work of the Corporate Governance Team. Including responsibility for ensuring and maintaining up to date and current databases of directors’ information, HMRC forms, and declarations of interest.
- Supporting internal and external audit requirements.
- Assisting the Head of Legal and Governance in governance, constitutional reviews, and projects including contracting and managing third parties as well as preparing reports to Board and the executive on governance matters.
- Approving Trustee expenses requests.
- You will assist the Head of Legal and Governance in ensuring that high quality, timely, and efficient administrative and secretarial support is provided across the organisation. You will be the primary contract for key stakeholders such as Trustees and executive members in the provision of support across all governance requirements, so you will be self-motivated with strong communication and interpersonal skills.
- Working with colleagues in the Legal and Governance Teams, you will be responsible for ensuring that effective governance arrangements and support are developed and maintained across the organisation.
Skills, qualifications, and experience:
- You will have significant experience working as part of a governance team, ideally with experience working for a charity.
- You will have a proven track record of being able to work well with senior management and Board members and possess excellent written, communication, and organisational skills.
If you think this is the role for you, please apply now.