Are you an experienced Assistant Accountant looking for an exciting new challenge?
Reed Accountancy Oxfordshire are pleased to be exclusively partnering with prestigious institution based in Oxford to help source an Assistant Accountant to join their finance team. The position offers a salary up to £38,000 per annum (based on experience), generous annual leave, flexible working hours, free lunches and the chance to work as part of a friendly, close knit team.
- Deputise for the Senior Accountant in their absence, maintaining the smooth running of the Accounts function.
- Assist the Senior Accountant with monitoring cash flow and management of the bank accounts and related bank facilities.
- Responsible for the production of quarterly management accounts, supervising other members of the finance team who provide inputs to the process and liaising closely with the budget holders to investigate budget variances.
- Assist the Senior Accountant with the preparation of the annual accounts for audit and take the lead in dealing with day to day questions from the auditors.
- Oversee the efficient processing and correct allocation of all financial transactions, preparing journals adjustments as necessary.
- Oversee the completion of key balance sheet control account reconciliations on a monthly or quarterly basis. Although normally prepared by other team members, these will include student fees, bank accounts, the sales and purchase ledgers, payroll and VAT.
- Document, and if necessary develop, internal control procedures for the main transaction cycles, as well as more specialist transactions such as student fees, payments of grants, scholarships, bursaries and allowances to students.
- Day to day administration of the sales, purchases and month-end routines to trial balance of the subsidiary companies.
- Prepare the budgets, quarterly management accounts and annual audited accounts.
- Oversee the payroll and benefits function within the accounts team, ensuring timely monthly payroll runs, BACS payments and pay adjustments, tuition payments and the processing of academic buy-out arrangements.
- Oversee the recording and processing of internal catering costs and other cost allocations on a monthly basis.
- Assist the Senior Accountant in the maintenance of the fixed asset register and any other more complex areas such as VAT accounting.
- Assist the Senior Accountant with system improvement projects such as developing a suite of management reports and enhancing payroll processing.
The ideal candidate for the role will have come from a similar background and will be able to confidently demonstrate all of the above abilities. A flexible approach to work is required for this role and you would ideally have an interest in overseeing and improving the finance function. You will ideally have made significant progress towards a professional accounting qualification, such as ACCA/CIMA/ACA. You will be proficient on a number of accounting packages and Excel and have excellent written and verbal communication skills.
If you think this is the ideal role for you, please do not hesitate to apply now to avoid missing out!