A leading charity in central London is seeking an Assistant Accountant to join them on a temporary basis for a three-month period. You will ensure the delivery of finance functions, this includes but not limited to processing day to day transactions via cash book, purchase ledger, and sales ledger, overall responsibility for payroll activities and providing support to the Accountants with respect to month end reporting, reforecasting and any other accounting duties to ensure the smooth running of the finance department.
- The processing of purchase and sales invoices and ongoing reviewing and maintenance of the customer and supplier ledgers
- Payment of purchase invoices and analysis of sales receipts
- Maintaining the cashbook- recording all receipts and payments, filing back up documentation and completing all account allocations in the corresponding ledgers.
- Managing payroll and pensions
- Payment and filing of all statutory returns with HMRC, Pension provider and Union
- Carrying out reconciliations of payroll, other control accounts and membership bank account.
- Journal preparation to provide accuracy and completion of reports e.g accrual, prepayments, depreciation and departmental recharges
- Processing, recording and payment of staff , volunteer expenses and member refunds
- Assisting the finance department and senior accounting staff members with various tasks, including running and circulating reports, account allocations, collating information for reports, cashflow reporting, budgeting and reforecasting.
- Dealing with queries sent to the finance inbox from suppliers, staff, volunteers and 3rd party stakeholders using the finance systems to investigate as required.
- VAT reconciliation
Knowledge, skills and expertise (person spec)
- Part-qualified ACCA/CIMA or AAT
- Excellent IT skills including Excel at Intermediate/Advanced level (PIVOT Tables/VLOOKUP/SUMIFS)
- Experience of preparing payroll
- Excellent communication skills, with the ability to develop and maintain strong working relationships with a wide range of people
- Highly numerate with a methodical and organised approach to work
- Demonstrable experience in a similar role
- Knowledge of accounting for VAT and an understanding of partial exemption
- Knowledge and experience of finance packages (including payroll packages)
- High levels of integrity and discretion, and the ability to deal reliably with confidential information
- Self-disciplined and efficient, with a flexible and proactive nature
- Confident to work with minimum supervision and able to use own initiative.
- Familiarity with SUN
- Experience of working within a charitable organisation or an understanding of the Charities SORP