global recruitment specialists
Bridging the global gap
Thinking of relocating to Bulgaria?
Relocating to a new city or country can be a big step especially; when you have a new job to face as well. You can only really get a good feel for a country when you have been there, but please keep reading our guide on Bulgaria to give you an overview of this country and what it has to offer, from the essentials to the desirables...
Bulgaria joined the EU in January 2007 and has a population of 7.6 million. This beautiful country is located in South Eastern Europe, bordering the Black Sea to the East, Serbia and Macedonia to the West, Romania to the North, and Greece and Turkey to the South. Bulgaria's capital, Sofia, has a population of 1.5 million and is located in the west of the country.
Bulgaria offers an amazing array of landscapes, forestry and recreational activities. Whilst in Bulgaria make sure you find the time to discover the highly desirable Black Sea beaches, first class ski resorts, quaint villages and magnificent architecture.
Bulgaria is a rapidly growing and modernising country, with significant amounts of foreign investment coming in. The economy has made impressive progress in recent years by maintaining long-term financial stability and sustained growth in a number of sectors. As of 2006 the economy has grown at a steady pace of around 5% a year, with inflation well under control. Sectors of economic growth include financial services, tourism, property investment & construction and FMCG.
There is an abundance of property to rent in Bulgaria, both apartments and detached houses (villas), with ex-pat communities located in the main towns such as Sofia and Varna. Popular areas in Sofia include Iztok, Lozenets, Doctors Garden, Boyana, Dragalevtsi, Simeonovo.
The overall standard of education in Bulgaria is high and Bulgarian's are considered well educated internationally. There are several English and American schools in Bulgaria ranging from kindergartens to universities. Foreign languages are taught from a young age and the academic structure is amongst the top in the world.
Bulgaria has a number of different banks, which have a broad range of international affiliations. To set up a Bulgarian bank account you are required to complete the necessary paperwork, show your passport and deposit money into the account. You will then be issued with your account details. Cheque books are not issued (cheques are not a popular form of payment in Bulgaria), and all major international credit and debit cards are available to bank customers.
Bulgarian is the official language and the Cyrillic alphabet is used. Turkish is the language of the main minority group (spoken by some 10% of the population), while English, German, French and Russian are spoken in major tourist resorts and hotels.
The currency in Bulgaria is the Lev (plural 'Leva') and the currency code is BGN. The Lev is divided into 100 stotinki. The Lev is tied to the Euro at a fixed exchange rate of EUR1 = Lv1.955. Bulgaria has strict currency regulations, and only Leva are accepted as means of payment domestically.
Bulgaria has an intricate rail and bus network, comprehensive auto routes with over 500km of motorways. With 5 airports including 3 international ones, mobility into Bulgaria could not be easier.
Bulgaria's climate is temperate continental with a Mediterranean influence and has clearly marked seasons. Summers in Bulgaria are hot and dry and temperatures can reach 35 C°. Temperatures in the mountains are generally 5 -10 C° cooler than the cities. During the summer period there are an average of 1700 sunshine hours from May to October. Winters can be cold in other parts of the country, hence its popularity as a destination for skiers.
For specific visa information relating to your country of origin please contact your local Embassy in your home country.
Since joining the EU new rules have come into force for EU citizens. For all other nationals the restrictions remain unchanged. The new regulation replaced the identity cards with new residence permit cards, or certificates as they are officially called. There are several other changes involved therefore for more specific details we recommend you to contact your local Embassy in your home country.
4 jobs in Bulgaria
• Monitor market trends and competitor activity and contribute towards formulation of Product Market strategies to create and maintain differentiation vis a vis competition.
• Leveraging company's existing customer relationships and identifying emerging opportunities in the civil & mining segment to generate new business prospects.
• Provide direction for negotiation & securing of contractual deals at regional level
• Drive achievement of the targets for collections and finished goods stocks to enable meeting Working Capital targets.
• Develop pricing models in line with corporate goals and market levels.
• Monitor product movements into allocated customers and highlight volume variations from plan
• Ensure excellent customer service by understanding customer needs, managing relationships and developing & deploying new products and services
• Formulate and implement sales/operational strategies to achieve desired business results within budget and according to business strategy.
• Ensure technical advice for customer and meet with key accounts to maintain relationships and negotiate and close deals.
• Deliver against aggressive growth targets by making targeted acquisitions, cross selling of products and introduction of new products (developing or sourcing)
• Introduce new technologies into areas in the whole region
• Ensure Marketing and Technical plans are developed and implemented to support the business strategy. Plans to include transferring best practice across the region to release value within the company.
• Help set and implement a regional strategy for rolling out new products and services
• Sales forecasting activities and set of performance goals.
• Monitor expenditures of sales area to meet budgetary requirements.
Performance against Budget
Annual review complete and agreed by Europe Mgt team
Achievement of growth targets included in business cases
Sustain technology advantage
EBIT, margin growth $
New markets, customers and new applications
TWC, Operating Cash improvements
Differentiation against competition
Quality of reports and studies
NPS / Customer Feedback
• Analyze product software needs and build proposals for satisfying them
• Take part in product design as part of a diverse team of specialists (hardware, mechanics, manufacturing, marketing)
• Prototype, design and develop various solutions in search of the one that will make a great product
• Support and coach younger engineers
• Develop C/C++ software components for our next generation medical device platform
• Maintain Yocto-based software platform (merge updates from suppliers & upstream projects, add/update/support/remove SW components and their recipes as needed)
• Identify product software needs and provide solutions for them
• Work as part of a diverse team (software, hardware, marketing specialists)
• Take part in product system design, considering development, manufacturing and servicing needs
• Participate in Technology / Supplier / Tool Selection etc. for new developments
• Experience with Oracle RDBMS 9i/10g/11g
• Ability to work with complex SQL statements, including Oracle-specific extensions
• At least 2 years of professional experience with Java
• Knowledge of efficient rules to write PL / SQL codes
• Profound knowledge in the field of integration of applications to databases via ODBC and JDBC
• Experience with PostgreSQL or MySQL are beneficial
• Knowledge of XML and SOAP technology
• Experience in the development of multi-threaded backend and Servlet code in Java or in the development of .NET front-end applications in C #.
• University degree in computer science / computer science economy
• Development of back-end and front-end applications with Java or C #
• Implementation of XML and SOAP technologies
• Realization of tasks with Oracle RDBMS 9i/10g/11g
• Dealing with complex SQL statements
• Connection of applications to databases via ODBC and JDBC