Career Advice - Getting a Payrise from your boss
Our experts give advice on getting the most from your career
Is it that pivotal time where you need to muster up the courage to ask your boss for that pay-rise? Not feeling too confident about the best way to go about it? Want some handy tips?
Stressed? Worried? Scared you'll upset your boss? You needn't be. Everybody has to negotiate their salary during the course of their working life.
We provide advice on how to be able to get a pay rise from your boss.
Simon Ryan, Senior Business Manager, has been in the recruitment industry for six years, so he knows a thing or two about negotiating a pay-rise. Below, are some handy tips to help you negotiate that better salary.
1. Prepare – before acting, ensure that you have prepared a document with your goals and achievements. Measure these against what is expected of you and how you are performing above and beyond your job description.
2. Meeting - ask for a meeting with your line Manager/Boss. Salary negotiations are best done face-to-face.
3. Do your homework – research salaries in your field so you are making a sensible case.
4. Sell yourself – explain why you're the best person to do this job.
5. Don't just think of the money - what skills and extra responsibility can you give in return.
6. Timing is everything – consider how the company is performing. For example, if profitability is low, the company is less likely to increase spend.
Watch Simon's Video on Negotiating a Payrise