For the best Public Sector finance roles
Our Public Sector team enjoys access to a wide range of opportunities in all areas of public service. From audit, project management and information systems work to procurement and contract management, pure finance roles to policy and strategy implementation, we have them all.
And, with positions often offered on a temporary or short-term contract basis, newcomers can assess the attractions of the public sector before making a full-time commitment.
Talk to the specialists about your next move.
6 jobs in UK
We are working on behalf of our client, who are of infuencial stature in the public sector. To find a qualified accountant to step straight into the company and assist with the tranistion period of them changing over there financial systems. This is a initial four month contract with the potential for that to be extended. If you enjoy Financial projects and systems, this could be the perfect role for you.
Main roles and responsibilities
1. To support the Finance Service by providing flexible and responsive cover for team members involved in the implementation of a new financial system.
2. To provide support and advice in the preparation and approval, management, monitoring and reporting of annual revenue and capital budgets, in co-operation with service managers and other support staff, contributing to the development of financial management processes across the council.
3. To prepare financial statements and related information in respect of the services supported, including input to service operational and business plans, medium term strategies and service outturn statements to support the effective financial management of the council.
4. To provide reports and financial advice to officers and members of the City Council.
5. To provide financial advice and support in relation to new and proposed legislation or accounting arrangements and in relation to service proposals and developments.
6. To provide financial advice and support to other service delivery bodies (partnerships, shared services, subsidiaries etc) in which the council is involved.
7. To assist with the planning and preparation of annual statement of accounts and supporting information, in co-operation with services and finance staff and in accordance with relevant Codes of Practice. To liaise as required with the council’s external auditors to provide additional information and explanations to enable agreement on accounting treatments.
8. To prepare major cross-service statutory and other returns.
9. Carry out any other duties as required by your line manager from time to time in accordance with the grading of the post.
If this role sounds like something you may be interested in please contact Ryan French on 01223 463 315 or email an up to date copy of your cv to firstname.lastname@example.org
The post holder will be a key member of the finance division. A key part of the role is
to support the Finance Managers and Assistant Head of Capital and Cash in implementing
approaches to capital and cash management across the provider sector, including the
provision of guidance to Trusts on financing applications and capital investment business
case approvals, managing the review and approval of financing applications and capital
investment business cases. The post holder will maintain a key focus on improving the
management of capital and cash within the provider sector through promoting robust
management, monitoring and delivery of capital and cash related issues through their day to
day contact with organisations.
This role will assist in the establishment and maintenance of a capital and cash consolidation
process to ensure accurate and timely reporting of the capital and cash position of the
provider sector to provide an overview of the capital and cash position of the sector for both
internal and national reporting.
The post holder will provide advice and expertise to the trust sector on the latest technical
issues relating to cash to enable trusts to make appropriate decisions and comply with any
The post holder will work with the Finance Managers, Assistant Head of Capital and Cash
and Heads of Capital and Cash in order to provide advice to colleagues within Trusts and
NHSI relating to the capital regime, the review and approval of capital investment business
cases and all loan and PDC related financing issues.
The post holder will also support the Assistant Head of Capital and Cash and Head of
Capital and Cash in working with colleagues in other directorates to implement, develop and
improve approaches to the approval of capital investment business cases and financing
requirements in order to drive improvement and assist the provider sector in moving to a
sustainable financial position and improving patient experience particularly through
investment in estate, equipment or other infrastructure.
The post holder will review and provide feedback to Trusts on annual plans and monitoring
returns in relation to capital and cash issues.
The post holder will provide advice and expertise to the provider sector on the latest
technical issues relating to capital and cash to enable providers to make appropriate
decisions and comply with any changing requirements.
Although specialising in capital and cash, the post holder will work as part of a team
providing support to the Assistant Director of Capital and Cash across the whole spectrum of
The post holder may be required to be the lead point of contact for capital and cash related
issues for a specific region and/ or to assume corporate responsibility for a specific work
It is essential the post holder is a qualified accountant and a member of an accountancy
body which is a member of the Consultative Committee of Accountancy Bodies (CCAB).
PFI Finance Manager
Part time - up to 21 hours per week
The Hyde Group is one of the largest landlords in the UK. We own and manage over 50,000 properties across London and the South East. We are a not for profit organisation with a big commercial focus and a big heart!
We are currently recruiting for a PFI Finance Manager to sit within our SPV (Special Purpose Vehicle) at Partners for Improvement in Islington. Partners is a long term partnership with Islington Council where we are responsible for working with sub-contractors to maintain and manage 6,500 homes in Islington. This role would be responsible for ensuring that the financial aspects of the contract are complied with. You'll report to our investors on the financial performance of projects as well as oversee day to day accounting for existing projects.
About your role:
• Oversee the robust financial management of Islington and Brent PFI and provide leadership to the Finance team, delivering a service which is proactive and solution focused.
• Provide strategic leadership to Islington and Brent PFI in all financial matters, ensuring the financial impact of issues and decisions is fully analysed and considered at all times.
• On an ongoing basis, analyse, forecast and report on the financial performance of the three PFIs, working with the management teams to resolve issues as they arise and advising on the financial impact of decisions.
• Lead on and oversee the management of all areas of risk for Partners, maintaining an up to date Risk Register and ensuring Partners responds to changes in the internal and external environment.
• Ensure that all statutory and contractual requirements are identified and delivered to deadlines, including annual accounts, tax returns, contractual deliverables and invoicing.
• Oversee the regular production of financial information and processes, including annual budgets, quarterly forecasts, monthly management accounts and cashflow management.
• Lead on managing the complex relationships with and between sub-contractors for all financial matters, facilitating a joined up partnership culture and ethos and creating excellent working relationships.
• Maintain the confidence of funders in delivering the project.
• You will be a Qualified accountant who is highly numerate with the ability to interpret complex financial contractual information
• Meticulous attention to detail is essential as you will need to have a high level of accuracy in this role.
• Good management skills with the ability to manage people sensitively
• Ideally you will have previous PFI experience, contractual experience or joint venture background (highly desirable)
• You will have excellent communication and presentation skills at Board and Funders level
• Ability to build successful working relationships with both internal and external stakeholders.
• You will be proficient using the Microsoft packages and have the ability to learn different systems.
What Hyde can offer you:
Hyde offers an excellent and unique Benefits package that can be adapted to suit each individual. We offer employees the opportunity to choose from a wide variety of benefits using our flexible benefits scheme (iFlex), which includes options around Childcare, Lease Car, Gym Membership, Eye care, and discounts with multiple retailers and many more. We also offer a number of substantial Core benefits including an impressive Pension Scheme.
Got what it takes? Click Apply Now and upload your CV and covering letter telling us why you would be perfect for this role.
Local Council in London is seeking a talented and detail orientated Principal Accountant to join their busy finance team for an initial period of 3 months (may be extended).
The Principal Accountant will report to the Group Finance Manager to provide a professional, high quality and customer focused finance service.
Summary of Duties and Responsibilities:
• To manage the closing and preparation of the Council’s Education Finance Team
• Have completed the closing of accounts and preparation of financial statements for external audit (including preparation of policies, notes, and working papers)
• Work as a team player to tight deadlines to pull together and reconcile the technical accounting and payroll and pension information required.
• Significantly influence decisions at senior level within own area of responsibility
• CCAB qualified accountant
• Local Government Accounting experience – particularly Education related
• Experience and knowledge of Schools and Children’s Social Care Finance
• Experience of closing accounts and preparing financial statements for external audits
• The ability to work under pressure
You must be available to start ASAP and be available to interview on short notice
Local Council in London is seeking a talented and detail orientated Principal Accountant to join their busy finance team for an initial period of 1 year.
To undertake both the financial analysis and financial modelling service to a local authority. The role has a strong emphasis on data extraction, interrogation and modelling requiring excellent spreadsheet, system (e.g. SQL reporting), technical accounting and presentation skills.
• To develop new financial models and reporting methods to present robust information that will inform Council Decision-making process
• Data extraction and analysis to support Financial Modelling
• Using advanced Excel skills to cleanse and summarise data
• Interpreting the trends emerging from the data analysis
• Presenting this data in a format that can be understood by non-finance colleagues
• Using tools such as SQL to improve ways of extracting performance and finance data and using this to produce detailed cost/benefit analysis and financial models
• To provide specialist technical expertise on system and technical financial issues to the directorate support teams
• To provide finance support on technical development of specific functionality in systems that support the delivery of key finance processes
Specific deliverables for this assignment
• Working with the Director to oversee the production and embedding of the Medium Term Financial Strategy (MTFS), ensuring technical accuracy and working closely with the Delivery Unit to oversee monitoring of savings proposals;
• To pro-actively review the ingredients of the MTFS to identify inconsistencies and any opportunities to refine budgets to ensure robustness;
• To develop presentations for the Director and others to deliver to elected councillors and senior officers in regard of the MTFS;
• To seek other opportunities to improve systems and processes of building and then managing the budgets through the use of Hyperion, the Council’s budget system;
• To work with the directorate accountants to ensure consistency of approach across all budget areas;
• To support insight work in regard of Children’s Services, especially analysing data in regard of looked after children to identify opportunities for cost efficiencies.