global recruitment specialists
IT Leaders Forum
Establishing IT as a Valued Business Partner
In February 2013, Reed Technology Leadership Practice hosted a networking and discussion event at the home of British film, Bafta.
The event was attended by executive level IT Professionals from around the UK who traveled to London to hear Recruitment Agency IT Director Phil Pegden discuss how to establish IT as a value business partner within modern organisations.
Topic: IT as a Business Partner
Speaker: Phil Pegden, IT Director at Reed Global
Venue: Bafta HQ, London
‘CFO's are our best friend'
- Only 32% of CFO's see IT as a strategic partner – Gartner's 2011 CFO update.
- It is as much up to the CIO to build bridges with the CFO as visa versa.
- Become how you want to be seen - It will be easier to become a strategic partner if the IT department believes they are a strategic partner. This message comes from the CIO down.
- Take time to understand the economics of the business and the key business drivers.
- Know the business from grass root level to the board room – this will help you engage with users.
- Ensure IT strategy matches that of the business.
- Monitor business performance and how IT projects impact this performance.
- Have a clear strategy that the business understands and buys in to.
- Communicate at all levels – it is as important to get buy-in from the grass roots as it is with the Board.
- Understand your audience and the best way to engage with them – do emails work?
- Transparency & honesty – gain trust and establish a partnership.
- Analogies – adding seats to a plane. Help users understand IT and the consequences of their requests.
- The long game – change will take time and your strategy needs to be designed for the long game.
- Quick wins quicksand – don't paper over the cracks with quick wins that don't tackle the real issues.
- Set expectations – ensure stakeholders know the difficulties, risks and costs of projects.
Download Phil's presentation from the event: "Establishing IT as a Valued Business Partner" »
Download the full event notes in pdf »
Join the discussion at the IT Leaders Forum LinkedIn Group »