Visas » ReedGlobal


Unless you are an Australian or New Zealand citizen, you will need a visa to enter Australia, and unless you are a New Zealand passport holder then you must obtain this visa before leaving home. There are quite a few different varieties of visa for Australia, from Tourist Visas and Working Holiday Visas to Employer Nominated Sponsorship Visas. The good news is you are now able to apply for many of these online.

There are many different types of visa which allow for employment in Australia. Listed below are 3 of the most common.

The Working Holiday Visa (subclass 417 or subclass 462) is for individuals under 31 years of age who would like an extended holiday, supplimented by short-term employment. This visa allows work for an employer for up to 6 months.

The Temporary Work (Skilled) Visa (subclass 457) allows a skilled worker to travel to Australia and work for an employer who agrees to sponsor them for up to 4 years. To be granted this visa you are required to have the skills to fill a position nominated by the sponsoring employer.

The Skilled Independant Visa (subclass 189) is for skilled workers who are not sponsored by an employer or a member of family. In order to be eligable for this visa the worker must obtain a suitable skills assessment for their occupation by SkillSelect and be under 50 years of age. 

Make sure you use the links below to learn about all of the types of visa available which may help you with your move 'down under'.

Useful Links

Department of Immigration and Border Protection

Australian Government visas page

Tourism Australia visas page